We take a collective sigh of relief after hearing the decision of the jury in Minnesota, but know that it by no means equates to justice for the countless number of Black Lives that have faced police brutality in our society. We remain strong in our stance that reform is needed in our criminal justice system so that those who are trusted with enforcing and upholding our laws are held accountable for their actions when injustice is committed.
We stand in support of the Black community who are still healing from the continued trauma we have seen and reiterate that Black Lives Matter.
How you can make it mean more:
- Speak out: Use your voice to publicly object to the persistent injustices against black communities. There is strength in numbers. Ally-ship is extremely important.
- Be actively Anti-Racist: Call out racism whenever you encounter it…with your family, friends, colleagues. Silence is complicity.
- Donate: Consider donating to a charity that is focused on supporting the fight against racism, including:
- George Floyd Memorial Fund, Official GoFundMe to support the Floyd family
- Minnesota Freedom Fund, Community-based nonprofit that pays criminal bail and immigration bonds for individuals who have been arrested while protesting police brutality
- Daunte Wright Sr. Memorial Fund, Official GoFundMe to support the Wright family
- Adam Toledo Memorial Fund, Official GoFundMe to support the Toledo family
- Black Visions Collective, A black, trans, and queer-led organization that is committed to dismantling systems of oppression and violence, and shifting the public narrative to create transformative, long-term change
- Reclaim the Block, Coalition that advocates for and invests in community-led safety initiatives in Minneapolis neighborhoods
- Campaign Zero, Online platform and organization that utilizes research-based policy solutions to end police brutality in America
- Black & Brown Founders, an organization that provides community, education, and access to Black and Latinx entrepreneurs, allowing them to launch and build tech businesses with modest resources.
- Know Your Rights Camp, dedicated to advance the liberation and well-being of Black and Brown communities through education, self-empowerment, mass-mobilization and the creation of new systems that elevate the next generation of change leaders.